15. maaliskuuta 2014

Facial cream and lip balm

I made my first batch of facial cream and lipbalm a couple of weeks ago. I don't even know why because I really do not need facial cream, and if I feel a bit dry I dab on a bit of oil. Anyway, wanted to try and it was way easy and fun. I used olive oil in which I had infused some plantago major to add some healing power (antibacterial and it is used to heal wounds). I also dropped in some tea-tree oil to treat my acne-prone skin.

Facial cream
1 dl oliveoil (infusion of plantago major)
0,25 dl grapeseedoil
0,25 peanutoil
40 g coconut oil (extra virgin)
20 g beeswax
1,5 dl water
a few drops of tea-tree essential oil and rose perfume oil

Cook the water. Melt all the fats in water bath. Pour melted fats into a clean bowl. When fats and boiled water have about same temperature, pour the water into the fats, mixing with an electric mixer as you pour. When consistency is right, pour the mixture into cleaned (preferably sterilized) jars. You can at this stage drop in essential oils. When the cream has cooled down, close the lid and store in fridge. In a cold place will hold a month or two.

Lip balm
10 g beeswax
5 g coconut oil (extra virgin)
2 tbsp (18g) almond oil
(a few drops of peppermint extract, this was a food grade aroma and does not smell in the finished product, but I tried it anyway since I did not have any essential oils of the kind at home :( )

Melt the fats in water bath. Drop in essential or perfume oils of your liking, if you want to. Pour into sterilized jars. Put the lid on when cooled down.



3 kommenttia:

  1. Did you use any preservation in this face cream? If not, your cream is going to be fine only short time. I know this by experience, I didn't want to use any preservation first, but I found out that I don't have a choice if I want to make my own creams.

    VastaaPoista
  2. No I did not, I did not have any preserving agents at home. I know it will only stay good a while and that is why I'm storing it in the fridge. I have no experience of preservation from previously, but I've understood that liquid E-vitamin would help it hold a bit longer?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I thought that vitamin E only would help keeping oils good, but I'm not sure of that. I've been using Optiphen as a preservative since my first creams without it get mold pretty soon after I made them. But when I use Optiphen, there is no problems and I can store creams or lotions at room temperature.

      Poista